Theatre Arts Minor
Division of Humanities - Adm
Division of Humanities
The discipline encompasses theatre as an artistic form and as a social and cultural institution. The study of theatre arts enables the individual to develop a creative imagination, an inquiring mind, a sense of social responsibility, professional discipline, a collaborative attitude, artistic standards and judgment, and a respect for the art form. Objectives--The curriculum provides sound academic and practical training in theatre arts for undergraduate liberal arts students, for those wishing to pursue graduate studies in the field, and for those preparing to teach. It is designed to help students develop an appreciation for and ability to produce quality theatre.
This program is available:
Up to 4 credits of coursework with a grade of D or D+ may be used to meet the minor requirements if offset by an equivalent number of credits of A or B. Courses may not be taken S-N unless offered S-N only. A minimum GPA of 2.00 is required in the minor to graduate. The GPA includes all, and only, University of Minnesota coursework. Grades of "F" are included in GPA calculation until they are replaced.
Take 12 or more credit(s) from the following:
· TH 2111 - Creative Drama with Children [ART/P] (4.0 cr)
· TH 2201 - Voice and Movement [ART/P] (4.0 cr)
· TH 2211 - Oral Interpretation [ART/P] (4.0 cr)
· TH 2221 - Readers' Theatre [ART/P] (4.0 cr)
· TH 3001 - Theatre Scene Painting Studio [FA] (4.0 cr)
· TH 3003 - Stage Management [ART/P] (4.0 cr)
· TH 3101 - World Theatre: History and Literature I [FA] (4.0 cr)
· TH 3102 - World Theatre: History and Literature II [FA] (4.0 cr)
· TH 3301 - Stage Lighting [ART/P] (4.0 cr)
· TH 3302 - Stage Costuming [FA] (4.0 cr)
· TH 3303 - Computer-Assisted Drawing [ART/P] (4.0 cr)
· TH 4301 - Scenic Design [FA] (4.0 cr)
Three major production responsibilities (at least one of which must be in a faculty-directed production, and at least two must be completed in the junior and senior years).