Sport Management B.A.
Division of Education
Division of Education
This is an interdisciplinary program housed in the Division of Education. The program is administered by the sport management coordinator. Core courses in sport studies and athletics and in management build a foundation of knowledge and skills related to managing, planning, organizing, budgeting, leading, marketing, and evaluating within the context of an organization or department whose primary product or service is related to sport or physical activity. Carefully selected elective courses prepare students for graduate study (e.g., in business, law, or sport management) or a career in the sport or fitness industry (e.g., athletic director, sport agent, sport marketing, sport media, and managing professional and amateur sport organizations, parks and recreation areas, or sport governing bodies).
This program is available:
For information about University of Minnesota admission requirements, visit the Office of Admissions website.
All students are required to complete general University and college requirements. For more information, see the general education requirements.
Students are required to take 2 semester(s) of any second language.
No grades below C- are allowed. Required courses including electives must be taken A-F, unless they are offered S-N only. A minimum GPA of 2.00 is required in the major to graduate. The GPA includes all, and only, University of Minnesota coursework. Grades of "F" are included in GPA calculation until they are replaced.
PHIL 2112 - Professional Ethics [E/CR] (4.0 cr)
STAT 1601 - Introduction to Statistics [M/SR] (4.0 cr)
or STAT 2601 - Statistical Methods [M/SR] (4.0 cr)
Sport Management Core
ECON 1111 - Principles of Microeconomics [SS] (4.0 cr)
MGMT 2101 - Principles of Accounting I (4.0 cr)
MGMT 3171 - Leadership in Organizations [SS] (2.0 cr)
SSA 2302 - Introduction to Sport Management (2.0 cr)
SSA 2401 - Sociological Aspects of Sports [SS] (2.0 cr)
SSA 2402 - Psychological Aspects of Sports [SS] (2.0 cr)
SSA 3101 - Sport Industry Analysis [SS] (4.0 cr)
SSA 4101 - Planning and Programming of Athletic Facilities (4.0 cr)
SSA 4102 - Organization and Administration of Athletics and Recreation (4.0 cr)
SSA 4201 - Sport Governance: Legal and Ethical Issues [E/CR] (4.0 cr)
Take an additional 12 or more credits from the courses listed below. At least 8 credits must be in management at the 3xxx level or above. Students interested in earning a management minor should see the management section of the catalog for additional information.
Take 12 or more credit(s) from the following:
Take 8 or more credit(s) from the following:
· MGMT 3101 - Financial Management [SS] (4.0 cr)
· MGMT 3123 - Managerial Economics [SS] (4.0 cr)
· MGMT 3133 - Managerial Accounting (4.0 cr)
· MGMT 3141 - Business Law I (2.0 cr)
· MGMT 3142 - Business Law II (2.0 cr)
· MGMT 3151 - Human Resources Management I [E/CR] (2.0 cr)
· MGMT 3152 - Human Resources Management II [HDIV] (2.0 cr)
· MGMT 3161 - Labor Management Relations I [E/CR] (2.0 cr)
· MGMT 3162 - Labor Management Relations II [SS] (2.0 cr)
· MGMT 3201 - Marketing Principles and Strategy [SS] (4.0 cr)
· MGMT 3221 - Management and Organization Theory [SS] (4.0 cr)
· MGMT 3513 - Negotiation (4.0 cr)
· MGMT 3701 - Organizational Behavior [SS] (4.0 cr)
· Take at most 4 credit(s) from the following:
· BIOL 2102 - Human Anatomy (3.0 cr)
· ECON 4101 - Labor Economics I [HDIV] (2.0 cr)
· ECON 4102 - Labor Economics II (2.0 cr)
· MGMT 2102 - Principles of Accounting II (2.0 cr)
· PSY 2001 - Research Methods in Psychology [SS] (4.0 cr)
· SOC 3103 - Research Methodology in Sociology (4.0 cr)
· PSY 3701 - Organizational Behavior [SS] (4.0 cr)
· SSA 2102 - Human Anatomy (3.0 cr)
· SSA 2111 - Kinesiology [SCI] (2.0 cr)
· SSA 2112 - Exercise Physiology (2.0 cr)
· SSA 3172 - Leadership in Sport Organizations [SS] (2.0 cr)
· SSA 3201 - Coaching Practicum (1.0 cr)