Twin Cities Campus
Mass Communication Minor
School of Journalism & Mass Communication
College of Liberal Arts
The minor serves students who wish to study the social, political, economic, and legal aspects of mass communication.
This program is available:
Students must complete 1 courses before admission to the program.
A GPA above 2.0 is preferred for the following:
Students seeking a minor in mass communication must consult the School of Journalism and Mass Communication website at http://sjmc.umn.edu/minors. There are two qualifications for admission: a GPA of 2.5, and a grade of C or better in JOUR 1001. When these criteria have been met, an adviser in Room 110 Murphy Hall will approve a minor program plan.
For information about University of Minnesota admission requirements, visit the Office of Admissions website.
Note: this course factors into the overall length in credits of the minor.
JOUR 1001 - Introduction to Mass Communication [SOCS, TS] (3.0 cr)
Students may earn a B.A. or a minor in the School of Journalism, but not both.
JOUR 3004W - Information for Mass Communication [WI] (3.0 cr)
Take at least one JOUR 4xxx or 5xxx context course.
Take 4 or more course(s) from the following:
· JOUR 3005 - Mass Media Effects [SOCS] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 3006 - Visual Communication (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 3007 - The Media in American History and Law: Case Studies [HIS] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 3201 - Principles of Strategic Communication (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 3551 - Economics of New Media [TS] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 3552 - Internet and Global Society [GP] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 3614 - History of Media Communication [HIS, TS] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 3615 - History of the Documentary [AH] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 3741 - Diversity and Mass Communication [DSJ] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 3745 - Mass Media and Popular Culture [AH, DSJ] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 3771 - Mass Media Ethics: Moral Reasoning and Case Studies [CIV] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 3775 - Administrative Law and Regulation for Strategic Communication [CIV] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 3776 - Mass Communication Law (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 3796 - Mass Media and Politics (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 3991 - Special Topics in Mass Communication: Context (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 4251 - Psychology of Advertising (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 4272 - Interactive Advertising (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 4274W - Advertising in Society [WI] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 4551 - New Media and Culture [AH, TS] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 4721 - Mass Media and U.S. Society [SOCS, DSJ] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 4801 - Global Communication (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 4991 - Special Topics in Mass Communication: Context (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 5501 - Communication, Public Opinion, and Social Media (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 5541 - Mass Communication and Public Health (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 5552 - Law of Internet Communications (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 5601W - History of Journalism [WI] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 5606W - Literary Aspects of Journalism [WI] (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 5615 - History of the Documentary (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 5725 - Management of Media Organizations (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 5777 - Contemporary Problems in Freedom of Speech and Press (3.0 cr)
· JOUR 5991 - Special Topics in Mass Communication: Context (3.0 cr)